Library Reference Specialist
Laramie County Library is seeking a Library Reference Specialist, Hiring immediately!
Job Description: Full Time /Adult Services/ Pay grade 24/ FLSA Status
JOB SUMMARY:Serves the public in their use of library resources by providing reference assistance, information, and instruction through a variety of means, including in person, by telephone, or electronically. Responsible for developing and managing assigned areas of the 3 rd floor collection and other support duties including maintaining equipment, resources, and work areas; processing and inspecting related materials; and data entry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains patron confidentiality in compliance with Wyoming state law.
- Performs exceptional customer service. As the first, and sometimes only, person that a patron may be in contact with, customer service is a very important aspect of all library positions.
- Spends appropriate amount of time away from public service points roving using established procedures. Meets patrons at their point of need.
- Maintains knowledge of procedures and policies of Laramie County Library System and the Adult Services Division. Interprets and applies policy in order to make decisions regarding patrons and procedures. May call for assistance from the Adult Services Manager, Adult Services Assistant /Special Collections Librarian or others in the chain of command when appropriate.
- Answers reference questions using print and online resources and questions about library policies and procedures. Conducts reference interviews to ensure that patrons receive accurate information.
- Develops assigned areas of the nonfiction collection. Tasks include weeding, evaluation, and purchasing. Prepares book orders as instructed by supervisor. Recommends cataloging and call number changes to supervisor. Checks in new nonfiction books.
- Participates on library-wide committees and teams as assigned.
- Trains the general public and/or library employees in use of print and online resources, both one-on-one and in group settings. Develops and conducts hands-on and lecture-style classes in basic computer skills as assigned.
- Places and troubleshoots interlibrary loan requests and holds, including locating and processing items from hold pick lists, VDX pull lists, and OCLC pull lists.
- Provides reference assistance to patrons in Special Collections. Provides assistance with all equipment in Special Collections, including computers, copier/printer, microform equipment, and equipment to assist people with disabilities.
- Assists patrons in their use of study and meeting rooms, including troubleshooting AV equipment. 12. Assists participants in the summer reading challenge, including promotion, registration, database management, and prize distribution.
- Assists with adult events.
- Assists Seed Library of Laramie County (SLLC) borrowers, including promotion, registration, database management, and seed distribution. Assists the Adult Services Manager with SLLC materials and programs, as assigned.
- Utilizes computers and applications that relate to the operation of the Division and service to the public, including the online catalog, integrated automation system, internet, email, Microsoft Office programs, meeting room software, wireless printing software, LCLS website, LCLS intranet and wiki, employee scheduling software, reference statistical software, instant messaging or chat software, and other online resources.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all equipment and computers in the Division. Knows and follows proper procedures when systems are offline or out of order. Maintains supplies, such as paper and toner, and troubleshoots problems as needed. Notifies appropriate employees when equipment is out of order.
- Assists patrons in use of computers and library equipment available to the public in the Division, including catalog computers, 15-minute internet computer, self-guided learning computer, business computer, copier/printer, smart kiosk, self-checks, and wireless access points.
- Prepares the 3 rd floor Ask Here Desk and Adult Services areas for opening each day and follows closing procedures. Monitors the overall appearance of the 3rd floor Ask Here Desk and public areas of library.
- Maintains nonfiction displays and places library materials on display easels. If assigned, creates displays.
- Provides test/exam proctoring services.
- Registers as a Notary Public and provides notary services as assigned.
- Works in cooperation with the Adult Services Assistant Manager/Special Collections Librarian to develop and manage the government and public documents collection, as assigned. Cooperates with the Computer Center & Cataloging Services Manager to appropriately catalog documents, balancing the need for access with the demands of original cataloging and the ephemeral nature of many documents. 23. Responds in a timely manner to patron purchase suggestions following established procedures, as assigned.
- Compiles monthly statistics for division as assigned.
- Ensures that sufficient office supplies are on hand to promote the smooth functioning of the division, as assigned.
- Works at the Greeter Desk as assigned.
- Performs other related and necessary duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; and
- 1 year of relevant experience; or
- The equivalent combination of education and experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a current driver’s license valid in the State of Wyoming or the ability to obtain one within six months of hire date. Reasonable accommodation upon request.
- Proficiency with a variety of software programs and systems related to the operations of the library including word processing, internet, scheduling/calendaring/email, integrated library systems, and operating systems.
- Working knowledge of public library operations.
- Proficiency in applying good customer service skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, with an aptitude for detailed work and proficiency in prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to work flexible work schedules including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to speak, read, comprehend, and write the English language.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently utilize and search computerized bibliographic databases.
- Ability to enter data into a computerized database, spreadsheet, document or other system.
Reports to: Adult Services Manager unless assigned to Adult Services Assistant Manager/Special Collections Librarian
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:The essential duties and responsibilities of this job require the employee to move or manipulate moderately heavy equipment, boxes, carts, files, and stacks of material from one location to another.
Laramie County Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please click on "Learn More" to apply!