Branch Specialist, part-time (28 hours/week).
Ensures the smooth function of library services at one, or more, of the branches of Laramie County Library System (LCLS). Schedules branch staff employees, assists with collection development and maintenance, plans and implements programs, and fosters community partnerships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains patron confidentiality in compliance with Wyoming state law.
2. Performs public relations for the library. As the first and sometimes only person that a patron may be in contact with, customer service is a very important aspect of this position.
3. Helps patrons at their point of need by checking the public area regularly.
4. Prepares library for opening and closing following established procedures.
5. Follows library policy in an appropriate manner.
6. Checks-out library materials to patrons.
7. Assists patrons with their use of the library including, but not limited to, the online catalog, location of materials, library equipment and public computers, placing a hold request and interlibrary loan.
8. Works closely with Information Technology Services staff to ensure the effective operation and utilization of automated systems used in the branches.
9. Organizes and delivers library programs, as assigned.
10. Handles all aspects of the hold request or interlibrary loan process including troubleshooting and contacting patrons when items are received.
11. Responds in a timely manner to patron purchase requests following established procedures, as assigned.
12. Answers reference questions. Contacts other resources if necessary to find an answer.
Meets expectations of following through with patrons to help them with the answers they seek.
13. Answers telephone calls and responds appropriately.
14. Issues library cards.
15. Enters data entry accurately when updating library card accounts.
16. Handles cash and financial transactions, including the collection of overdue fines and billingrelated fines. Prepares and makes bank deposits.
17. Collects mail from the post office.
18. Sends and receives faxed\copied\scanned items for patrons and assists patrons with issues related to library computers and equipment.
19. Processes overdue notices and reports.
20. Inspects, checks-in and shelves library materials. Maintains library shelves. Separates materials belonging to other facilities, completes appropriate documentation and necessary computer functions, and either places them in an appropriate location or packages the items for mailing and mails.
21. Orders library materials and assists with collection development, as assigned.
22. Coordinates rotation of library materials for the branches, as assigned.
23. Provides outreach to Laramie County School District #2 and other community partners as assigned.
24. Directs the work of other branch employees and volunteers, as assigned.
25. Prepares monthly statistical reports.
26. Prepares work schedules of other branch employees, as assigned.
27. Performs other related and necessary duties, as assigned.
2 years of college-level education from an accredited institution; and
2 years of relevant experience; or
The equivalent combination of education and experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Proficiency with a variety of software programs and systems related to the operations of the library including word processing, spreadsheets, internet, scheduling/calendaring/email, and integrated library systems, and operating systems.
Ability to work flexible work schedules including weekends and holidays.
Ability to work with limited supervision, with an aptitude for detailed work and proficiency in prioritizing tasks.
Ability to supervise, coach, train, and lead other workers.
Proficiency in applying good customer service skills.
Reports to: Manager, Circulation & Branch Services
Supervises: Volunteers, as assigned
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The essential duties and responsibilities of this job require the employee to move or manipulate equipment, boxes, records, files, and stacks of material weighing up to 50 pounds from one location to another.