Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum is seeking a Registrar, Hiring immediately!
DEADLINE: May 21, 2021. No Phone Calls!
Job Description: 8 A.M – 5 P.M Monday-Friday
Permanent Full Time: Average 40 hours/week, with occasional evening and weekend requirements.
Job Summary: Ensure the proper care and preservation of artifacts and implement policies and procedures to safeguard these artifacts.
Reports To: Curator of Collections
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies, plus 1 year work-related experience.
• $16-$18.50 per hour
• Health and Dental Insurance
• IRA Match
- Assigns accession numbers, compiles accession records, classifies, and physically numbers Museum artifacts.
- Performs data entry and filing of donor recognition letters, gift forms, Temporary Deposit Receipts, catalog records, and other artifact documentation.
- Manages and assures accuracy, security, retrievability, and intellectual integrity of collections records.
- Conducts regular inventories of collections and performs reconciliation with artifact records.
- Manages Collections in storage and coordinates with Curator to produce supplies necessary for the adequate storage of artifacts.
- Handles arrangements, condition reporting, packing, shipping, and insurance with the Curator for both incoming and outgoing loans.
- Evaluates current practices, stays current with professional standards, and develops new practices in collections management and care in order to develop multiple access systems, meet the needs of a diverse audience, make use of changing technology, and plan for changing needs of staff and the public in order to preserve, safeguard, and eliminate hazards relating to collections.
- Works with Curator, acquisition committee, and Museum Board regarding possible deaccessions and manages documentation and disposal according to collections policy.
- Performs simple, appropriate cleaning of artifacts and seeks advise from professional conservator for all other artifacts conservation needs.
- Works with the Curator to research, develop, and manage funding proposals for collections management and care.
- Oversees development, maintenance, security, and upgrades of collections database.
- Work with the Curator to retrieve and prepare artifacts and artifact information, conduct artifact-related research, and provide input to staff regarding collection elements for exhibits, programs, and other Museum needs.
- Provides limited access to collections in response to requests for loans, research, and artifact information.
- With the Curator, trains and supervises part-time and volunteer personnel in clerical work, collection duties, and collection care.
- Makes recommendations for purchases of books and materials related to research and preservation of artifacts. Environmental Control/Monitoring; Pest management; Security; Risk Management.
- Monitors environmental conditions in Museum building, adjusts controls as necessary, and coordinates with Curator and Facilities to obtain climate control technicians on maintenance and upgrades of museum HVAC systems.
- Is responsible for Integrated Pest Management system and coordinates with Facilities and pest control services to maintain and upgrade pest control.
- Oversees issues of intellectual property and rights and reproductions which pertain to collections and address legal issues of collections.
Hall of Fame Museum Committee Liaison:
- Overseeing the annual Cheyenne Frontier DaysTM Hall of Fame processes and ceremony, which includes:
- Managing the committee: creating agendas for every meeting, coordinating with the Committee Chairperson, and editing documents as requested by the Committee; gathering all nominations and compiling them for the Committee.
- Coordinating necessary mailings, sponsorships, and marketing with Staff.
- Organizing the event & and updating the Standard Operating Procedure as the event and duties change.
- Coordinating loans for Museum exhibit.
- Organizing HOF activities during Cheyenne Frontier DaysTM.
- Trains volunteers for unpacking, storing and repacking all art.
- If volunteers or Art Show Coordinator needs help then assists them as necessary.
- Responsible for keeping a record of any art damage with Condition Reports.
- Acts a "controller" to manage smooth movement of artworks.
- Assist with installation and dismantling of Museum exhibits.
- Assumes duties of Curator in Curator's absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Working Conditions: Standard office environment with both indoor and outdoor activities. Must be able to lift office products, artifacts, artwork, and supplies up to 30 pounds.
Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click “ Apply Now” to Apply!